NOTE: this is an outdated page, please see the Plasma Parameter Widget page.
Latest Version: 3.2 (Released 6/21/2007)
Online Demo (presently displays version 3.1)
I have written a very basic Dashboard widget that computes various plasma parameters. The screen shot below shows the seven input fields and the fifteen output fields. Units are cgs unless otherwise stated. The expressions used to determine these parameters are taken from the 2004 NRL Plasma Formulary. The reverse side shows all of the equations used, provides an explanation for setting the Coulomb logarithm, provides links to the relevant sources, and acknowledges those who have assisted in the widget's creation.
You can post comments on this page if you register with the site (see the "Create one" link at left). A list of future improvements is provided below, along with a download link.
Front side view of version 3.0.
The following text is provided as required by Apple for people wishing to add their widgets to the official Apple Widget Downloads page.
Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger is required. If you're using Safari, click the download link. When the widget download is complete, show Dashboard, click the Plus sign to display the Widget Bar and click the widget's icon in the Widget Bar to open it. If you're using a browser other than Safari, click the download link. When the widget download is complete, unarchive it and place it in /Library/Widgets/ in your home folder. show Dashboard, click the Plus sign to display the Widget Bar and click the widget's icon in the Widget Bar to open it.
A re-release of this version is dated 2/20/2006, but it is only for the sake of applying the Universal label. The Plasma Parameters widget will work on Intel based Macs.
(Preview it at the at the online demo, see link at top)
The most significant batch of changes since v2.0! Here is a preview of all the changes:
- Added adiabatic (polytropic) index to input parameters and included default value display.
- Added Ion Inertial Length to output parameters.
- Added two Solar Wind default sets.
- Pressing ‹Enter› with cursor in input field performs calculation (previously either cleared all input fields or did nothing).
- All output expressed in scientific notation (provides more easily read values regardless of magnitude).
- Expression for beta changed (new expression shown on information side).
- Output units changed to meters and Hertz where possible (makes output more friendly to non-fusion plasma systems).
- Improved code for web ready demonstration (exact widget code placed on web, not all browsers compatible).
- Acknowledgments section updated to reflect new outside contributions.
Other work in consideration:
- Allow user to create new default sets.
- Allow users to set the input/output units and formatting of output numbers. This will make the widget more useful for non-fusion plasmas in which the input parameters are of order much less than unity.
- Provide the option to generate a page of the results that can be printed out or saved as a file.
Version 3.0 - Released January 1, 2006
- Less than half the size of the previous version, saving considerable screen space.
- Adiabatic index discussed and value given on information side.
- Links to NRL Formulary and widget homepage clearly provided.
Version 2.2 - Released December 8, 2005
Fixed bugs from previous version.
Errors/Bugs in Version 2.1 and Below
- Thermal velocities and ion sound speed factor of ten below actual values.
Version 2.1 - Released November 7, 2005
Provide simple manner by which the user can set the Coulomb logarithm.
- Correct all bugs/errors listed from previous version. <-- No Bugs Reported
Version 2.0 - Released October 6, 2005
Include "Info" link to display author, any potential copyrights, and the formulas used.
Make it look super cool and display a version number so that people can easily tell whether their version is the latest.
Create an icon that will be displayed in the Dashboard control panel to represent this widget.
Provide defaults that the user can select to load parameters most familiar to a particular system (e.g. tokamak, solar, and interstellar medium plasmas).
Correct all errors/bugs listed from previous version.
Errors/Bugs in Version 1
- Alfvén velocity presented a factor of ten less than correct value.
- Coulomb logarithm incorrectly provided.
- Pressing "Enter" results in all fields being erased.
Download the Plasma Parameters Widget
See the Plasma Laboratory - Data Acquisition and Analysis downloads section.
See the Plasma Parameters Widget page from Apple's download area.
Softpedia.com --> Plasma Parameters Review Page : Provides various information about the widget in addition to verification that it is houses no spyware or other malicious programs.
Tags: plasma physics,